This is my assignment. I think that it will be no use if I didn’t share with you guys. So better to post in here, I guess.
It is barely about how to make a design and work as a team. Also how to manage the conflict that might be appear in a specific situation. I rather called this an abstract, or summary, or whatever. If you want to get the full copy you can find it on the IEEE Engineering Medicine and Biology Magazine March 2010 edition.
Feel free to read =)
Successful careers require engineers to be able to function on multidisciplinary teams. According to studies of effective new product development teams, team members should possess the following components :
- technical competence and problem-solving skills
- a commitment to common goals that are clear and measurable
- shared values and priorities
- a feeling of mutual accountability
- a willingness to contribute and cross boundaries when needed.
Additional components of effective capstone design teams include the following :
- clearly defined roles and accountability based on the strengths of each team member
- a collaborative climate where each member contributes and benefits from the team project experience
- an effective communication system between team members, with advisers, sponsors, course instructors, and class
- a method for monitoring individual performance and providing feedback to team members.
The personal characteristics and skills needed by capstone design team members are as follows :
- the ability to get along with others
- conflict management skills
- interpersonal skills
- a willingness to attend team meetings and contribute ideas
- respect for teammates and their contributions
- a sense of obligation to complete their fair share of the work.
Lectures that deal with the importance of teams, requirements for effective teams, common team-related conflicts and how to deal with them, expectations of student teams, and how to run effective team meetings can be very helpful in preparing students for the team-based project experience required by the capstone design course. It is important for the students to understand that conflict is a normal part of teamwork and, if managed properly, can result in more effective collaborations among team members and better design solutions.
Team size can have a significant effect on how the students benefit from the team experience and what they learn from it, if one student does not complete their fair share of the project work, then the other student will be unfairly overburdened. Team members should have an interest in the project, a willingness to work with the other team members, and the technical skills and knowledge base required for the successful completion of the project.
According to the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET), undergraduate engineering programs must demonstrate that their students attain 11 specific outcomes. In summary, the capstone design course that can be done through course lectures, team-building activities, and coaching on how to deal with conflicts that typically occur within project teams, can be used to provide students with the opportunity to develop the teamwork skills needed for successful careers.